The Lisbon Greenhouse’s Nave is a 1950’s construction by the engineer Edgar Cardoso. It was constructed to give a sense of continuity to the central avenue in Parque Eduardo VII. This avenue in the park was constructed to be of the same width as the “Avenida da Liberdade”, which created some conflicts with the excavated area of the old quarry. The solution to this problem was to construct this vaulted building underneath the park’s central avenue.
The building is not entirely built underground and its 10 arches accompany the avenue’s decline. On the far north side of the construction you can observe a basalt outcrop and the interior of the building is covered in small sized pebbles which gives it a look of marbled cement.
This room has staged numerous events: parties, plays, films, concerts and receptions. Until 1974, the Lisbon Municipality offered free plays from Portuguese authors. These plays were performed by the Lisbon Popular Theatre group that belonged to Augusto Figueiredo.
After 1974 the theatre was shut down and the stage was dismantled along with the dressing rooms and the orchestra’s pit. The space was then adapted to act as a big ball room.
Currently this space lies concessioned to a company organizing events - A Casa do Marquês - email@example.com.